3 Ways to Avoid Electrical Fires
Although electricity is an integral part of our lives, it’s not something we should take for granted. In reality, electricity can result in safety hazards, such as a fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), home electrical fires claim the lives of approximately 310 Americans each year and injure around 850 more. Fortunately, many electrical fires can be avoided by taking safety precautions like the ones below.
• Routinely check your appliances and wiring. One of the easiest ways to prevent an electrical fire is to ensure electrical devices aren’t already at risk. Replace frayed wires and repair any device that overheats, shorts, or gives of sparks.
• Make sure the plugs match the outlet. If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
• Use extension cords and outlets wisely. An overheated wall socket can eventually become a fiery disaster. Use safe practices by not overloading extension cords or wall sockets.
An electrical fire can be dangerous, but in many cases, it can be avoided. If you do have a house fire, however, know that our local restoration experts are available 24/7. Call SERVPRO of Iredell County any time at (704) 872-7466!